Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Month's Worth of News

Wow - a whole month has gone by. I'm setting a new record in rudeness. I will tell you that I have been busy, some good busy and some not-so- good busy.

In the last posting I promised you more good news and I have got a couple things for you. First up is that my back surgeon is extremely pleased with the way my back has healed. He gave me permission to wean myself off of the back brace and I have been doing just that. I still wear it when I go out most times since I would rather err on the side of caution. After the long recovery I don't want to have to do it again. More about the back later. The other good thing is that I had another checkup in the LONG time since the last post and my Thyroglobulin level has dropped another 10%. Thyroglobulin is the level they use as a marker of tumor activity. It should be zero but it has dropped from 181 in March to 66 in August. We're headed in the right direction!

Now that I shared the good news there is some tougher stuff to share.
First is recurring back pain. The repair in my lumbar area feels great but now I have pretty consistent intense pain in an area just at the bottom of the shoulder blades. After discussing it with the doc He decided he wants a MRI of my spine. I HATE MRI's. This one should be especially interesting since I cannot lay on my back without pain.
Their suggestion, as always, is "increase your pain meds". They will do what they call a sedated MRI where I am put in a semi-sleepy state. I can hardly wait but it has to be done.

How did you spend your Labor Day? Maybe a cookout with brats, beer, and corn on the cob? Or did you go to the Harley party? Mine was different. I woke up at 7am and took my Nexavar pills. I had trouble swallowing them and they both got stuck in my throat. Could not flush them down with water or food and could not cough them up. I have had similar issues in the past and just waited until the pills dissolved. These pills never did - at noon I still could not move them and could not swallow water- I just choked and spit it back up. (meaning I could not take my other meds) So we went off to the urgent care clinic, hoping they had some secret to dislodging the pills. No such luck. Next stop - ER. After an unsuccessful attempt with a drug to make my throat more slippery they had to call in a GI specialist who knocked me out and went down my throat with an endoscope to dislodge the pills. They were finally cleared at about 5pm. Today I have a very sore throat and am only able to take in liquids. It might be another day or two before my throat heals enough to eat solid food. What a great holiday.

Enough bad stuff - let's finish up with one more piece of good news.
And for this I owe my niece Tracy. Little bitty baby Tracy Pelt got married Saturday! It was a great event and I'm so happy I was feeling well enough to attend. I actually danced with Jessica - OK, it was more like waddling through a couple of slow songs but I know she appreciated the effort! Tracy, like her sister Cyndee, has matured into a terrific young lady. She and Casey, the new hubby, are living and working in Washington DC. You will be glad to know that a portion of your tax dollars go to pay Casey's wages. I'm always happy to learn my excessive taxes are helping someone I know. I wish Casey and Tracy a long, healthy, happy, and blessed marriage.

Thank you sincerely for your patience in waiting for news. I know I have been poor at keeping you informed, at least I've been late in doing so. Your prayers, notes, cards, emails, and most importantly your friendship mean the world to me.

Be Well - Be Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment